Friday, July 31, 2020

Book Review: Master of One

Despite my intense love of books, I follow very few authors. Ever since I read Called to Create, I have received and read Jordan Raynor's weekly newsletter. I appreciate his focus on doing our very best work for the Lord. Moreover, I always anticipate the possibility of finding another book to read because he ends each newsletter with an excellent book recommendation. I even took time to listen to his podcast for a special interview with C. S. Lewis's stepson, Douglas Gresham (a man I met while working at the Wade Center).

Master of One is Raynor's newest book (I love this cover design). It follows the theme of his primary focus - seeking excellence in the one thing God has called you to do. I will admit I agonize over this quite a bit. If you asked me what I'm most passionate about, I would say reading and writing books. Yet, given my lack of success, I always doubt whether this is the one thing God has gifted in me. I persevere, despite silence. That is why I struggled most with one particular quote from the book: "Commit to developing the one plot of land that is starting to produce the fruits of divine multiplication." What if I never experience divine multiplication? Should I "refuse to plant more seeds in the rocky and thorny soil" or should I persevere and practice more? Maybe my one thing is just raising boys (yikes, I don't do that well either) and I should set aside the writing. Yet, I cannot seem to let it go.

My favorite part of this book is the story of Antoni Gaudi and his church of the Sagrada Familia. Last summer, when Bryce and Elizabeth returned from their European adventure, I asked what Bryce considered the most significant highlight of the trip. Hands down, he said it was Barcelona and the church of the Sagrada Familia. His enthusiasm bubbled as he discussed this gifted architect and his passion for the ornate church. I wanted to visit this masterpiece myself. Now, having read about it in Raynor's book, I am even more eager to make a trip to see this. It is said they will complete it around 2026. Since John and I will not get a 30th anniversary trip (in this COVID climate), perhaps I shall set my sights on a trip to Barcelona in 2025!

Another exciting example prompted me to share the passage with my middle son. 3-D printing has always fascinated him. He took a course at the library and made a few intricate items on their 3-D printer. When Trevor mentioned a site that offered a small house for $13,000 in 24 easy installments (what a goal for a young man - set aside money each month for two years and have a small home on your family property - heck, I'd rather have him living near us than the neighborhood projected for just across our meadow), I had to share this amazing story from Raynor's book. An innovative 27-year-old, Brett Hagler, has created a 3-D printer that prints a home. Not only that, it completes the home in less than 24 hours at a cost of only $10,000. Raynor notes that instead of using this brilliant innovation to his own personal profit, Hagler intends to take the machine to El Salvador with the goal of meeting needs of the homeless. (For a more up-to-date news coverage on his community building in Mexico, click here to listen to a Faith Driven Entrepreneur podcast.)

Raynor offers many examples of individuals who give their all to the gifts God has endowed. The book was informative and inspirational. I liked it even more than Called to Create. So many challenging quotes! You can also go to a website to download a workbook as you process the questions offered at the end of each chapter. If you are interested in honing your personal mission statement and driving toward a goal, this book is for you.

No comments: