Friday, March 14, 2008

Apparently I've Been Pole-Dancing

Yes, this will give my parents a shock! Let me explain. One of the blogs I enjoy reading from time to time is called Grasping for the Wind. I believe I found this blogger because he reviewed a book by my good friend, Professor Lyle Dorsett, on C.S. Lewis. His was the blog that led me to yesterday's road trip destination of the people-reading blog. (Thanks Bia, for teaching me how to do that sophisticated link!). Today, he led me to yet another interesting article, by Robin Hobb.

Robin Hobb is concerned that writers are falling for the allure of blogging. She begins her essay by introducing yet another aspiring writer who has caved in to the temptation to join the blogosphere. Her words are stinging, but I understand it is the sting of truth. In fact, I have already noted why blogging has been so incredibly appealing to me.

She warns writers:
"Blogging is easier. The gratification is immediate.... The blogs ... will grow fat and swollen, round bellied with the creativity they have siphoned off from your fingertips.... And when night falls, you will think that you have been a writer today. But you have merely blogged. Compared to the studied seduction of the novel, blogging is literary pole dancing.... Oh, my dearest writer friend. Be strong. Resist the siren call. Don't blog. Write."

So, apparently, I've been pole dancing. Who knew? Well, I'm not ready to throw off this titillating diversion yet. Blogging is certainly not as lucrative as pole dancing. (Side note: I had a GED student once who actually left pole dancing because she wanted to earn her GED and get a respectable job. She recognized her importance as a role model for her children. Kudos to her!)

But, for me, right now, blogging profits my life in ways that money and publication can't. I've said before that I am very isolated and devote all of my days to the raising of my children. I wouldn't have the energy to work on my novels much anyway. In fact, I wasn't doing much writing. Having never published a book, I'm sure I don't have a following of readers wishing I would devote my energies to my young adult novels in progress instead of my daily blogs.

I can appreciate the sentiments that Robin Hobb voices. Blogging is easier than working hard at writing a novel. Blogging does provide that wonderful drug that writers crave, the sense of being heard. I acknowledge that I'm not enhancing my writing productivity. However, I will say that my blog is benefitting my writing career more than if I were to seek evening respite by passively watching television. And after a full day of dealing with my brood of boys, I need the siren call of my blog.

So, you readers who also consider yourselves "writers," what do you think? Are you in agreement with Robin Hobb? Do you feel you've sold your soul to the devil? Do you regret pouring your creativity into a daily pole-dance for strangers? Or, do you see your blog as a means to increase your creative output, something akin to Julia Cameron's daily pages suggestion in her book, The Artist's Way? I'd love to hear from both my writer's group friends and from those strangers who have been viewing my creative offerings recently. I can't bring this article in to my writer's group, but I can facilitate some conversation about this topic on my blog!

11 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

(Came to your blog by way of Lucy's blog.)

I think that's an interesting idea. I guess that if you have novel-ish aspirations but put them aside for your blog, I can see her point. Personally, I look at my blog as a form of writing practice. Sometimes the practice is in my notebook, or in my journal, or sometimes it's in my blog. I also don't think of creativity as a thing you have to be miserly with---I think the more effort you put into writing, whether it be practice or actually finally writing that novel, the more creativity you develop within yourself.

Thanks so much for an interesting post! (says this complete stranger.)

John Ottinger III (Grasping for the Wind) said...

Thanks for being a reader of Grasping for the Wind. I see the stats of visits, bit only comments really tell me anything about the people who visit. I appreciate your comment.

To be honest, I actually haven't read Dorsett's books yet, but I did attend a lecture here in ATL at Perimeter that he gave. He got the highest marks of any speaker they have ever had! What you saw was the notes I took on his teaching, which was awesome. Almost makes me wish I had gone to Wheaton college instead of Covenant, just to sit in his classes.

Wendy Hill said...

Amy - thanks for visiting and joining the discussion. I loved your comment about not needing to be miserly about creativity. BTW, the book you just reviewed has been on my reading list for a while now. I even checked it out once, but had to return it to the library before starting it. I can't wait to read your other book reviews, too.

John - Ah yes, now I remember. My friend Jack Getz attended the Perimeter lecture and then I found your notes to the lecture and got hooked on your blog. Not trying to make you too green, but I attended Wheaton, worked for Lyle and went with he and his wife for an oral history interview of C.S. Lewis's first cousin, Ruth Parker. I'll have to blog about that some day. Come back and visit again.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, pole dancing you say?

Here's what I think, lots of us aspire to be prima ballerinas (figuratively speaking of course) but really how many successful ballerinas are out there? It takes a lot of work and dedication. It's hard to be a ballerina with three young children in the house.

I think, in the past the choice was to be a prima ballerina or to never dance at all. In that scenario there were a lot of people who never picking up their dancing shoes.

But now that we can all erect a pole in our basements, we have a chance to dance. It may not be the original vision some of us had. But for the rest of us it's a chance to sit in the spotlight while we groove to the music.

I can understand how an actual published author would bristle at a blog. Certainly the amount of time, effort and dedication that goes into a blog pales in comparison to writing a novel.

But blogging gives a lot of us "novel lite" experiences. It's not stellar writing by any stretch, in my opinion it's more of a sense of community.

As you have noted about yourself, I too am isolated with three small children. This is a place for me to use my head as much or as little as I want and to bounce things off other people.

At least that's what I think.

Lucy said...

What a fabulous discussion! And using such an interesting analogy to boot!

I have actually never aspired to be a writer, so I can see for some purists how it seems like a cheap form of the real thing. Clubbing compared to performing, right?

I don't know enough about it, but the world is changing. Blogs might not be "it" right now, but they might become so. I read an article in the news last week that reported 70% of people think the mainstream news are "out of touch". More people get their news from bloggers and blog sites now. That seems to be a shift that traditional journalists can't be too happy about. The same has happened with music being digital. REcord companies are freaking out about the ease we can get our music now. They are losing control. It seems to me that Robin might have a little Clive Davis in her.

People blog for so many different reasons. As another mother of young boys, I appreciate any time during the day where I can be me - a woman with a mind and an opinion and a sense of humor. THAT is why I blog.

Hi Amy! Fun to see you here!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I do see the danger in blogging: just because one writes doesn't necessarily mean that one is a writer.

I blog because I consider it as writing practice, and in order to do anything well, one must practice! It's very similar to the idea that practicing the piano and actually playing the piano are two entirely different things, but you can't do the latter without the former.

Wendy Hill said...

Cardiogirl: Loved your ballerina analogy. Yes, I might not be dancing otherwise. And the sense of community and place to use my head are my primary motivations these days.

Lucy - So glad you weighed in, even if you don't aspire to be a writer. Mothers certainly understand that vital need to have an outlet for self-expression and community.

Bia - Great piano explanation. I practiced the piano (even took lessons occasionally). No, I can't PLAY the piano. It would be wonderful to have a final product (a young adult novel with my name on the cover), but for now, I'll just keep tickling the ivories and learnin' my scales.

Rachel said...

Thanks for inviting me to the discussion, Wendy!

I recently read over at Rod Dreher's blog about his frustration with the blogging world in that blogging seems to keep him from making any progress on his second book. I can understand that notion because he posts often during the day and moderates intense discussion. And he has a "real" (outside the home) job that he is doing while he blogs and works on that book.

Personally, I find blogging a fantastic outlet. As a mom (of boys) blogging helps me find the humor in otherwise frustrating situations. As a writer, blogging helps me keep notes for future columns and articles. As one of the earlier commenters noted, I too treat my blog as my personal (public) diary, or notebook. And it does give a bit of non-domestic satisfaction when I "publish" something nearly every day (even if it is so pedestrian as a toot joke from one of my boys!)

Kyle White said...

hmm, interesting discussion. i guess i don't see my blog as my primary outlet for writing. i do the writing and then place it on the blog sometimes. it's one of a few ways to get my "stuff" out there. i can refer publishers to the blog, or get critique from friends, or organize my writing. it even acts as a cheap way to store my writing! but, the blog serves the writing. not the other way around.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

I heartily support your blogging for all the reasons you mentioned, and I'll add one: the true writer doesn't care about getting published - she just wants to write! Or what about the idea that a blog can eventually turn into your published item. For example, Kyle would like to publish his blogs as an anthology someday. Perhaps your blogs will be the seeds for a book on parenting, or of creative book reviews. Who knows the possiblities? At any rate, you are staying sharp and continuing to hone your skill.

That said, I would like to gripe a bit about Christian blogs where someone posts something controvesial on a Christian website and then everyone puts their two cents in. These drive me crazy! It's a way everyone can share their ignorance without doing any study or research into the subject. I know that's not what you are talking about, so I'm totally off the subject, and will sign off.

Love,
JoHannah

Wendy Hill said...

Rachel - Thanks for joining the discussion. I do think that blogging provides something beneficial for women who are knee-deep in the tasks of mothering. It is a creative outlet and a chance to reflect and share, without even having to leave your home.

Kyle - I think different bloggers have different purposes and needs. Yours is clearly a tool for gathering your essays. Having said that, I'd love to see some of your poetry on your blog. And I definitely hope your final manuscript sells.

JoHannah - Welcome aboard. I agree that a writer likes to write, no matter what the venue. I think my blogging has actually given me more insight into the style of writing which I feel most comfortable in. I'm not saying that I am casting aside the dreams of publishing a novel someday, but for now, I am doing the kind of writing which brings me the most personal satisfaction.

About controversies - it is true that everyone has an opinion about controversial subjects and now blogging makes it far easier to just send out your knee-jerk reaction on just about anything. I do love blogs that make me think, though.