Saturday, April 4, 2020

Book Review: Wild Words

Back in November, after a poignant disappointment related to a heavily invested writing project, I set all writing projects aside, gave up my writer's group, and tried to shift my focus elsewhere. The problem is, I cannot seem to let go of writing. I still write daily. I still journal as part of my morning ritual, and have even been dabbling in poetry (not my standard fare, nor my skill-set). I laid it at God's feet and gave it up - even taking on a leadership role in the children's ministry for my Bible study (was that what God wanted me to shift my focus to?) but I felt like a pen shoved in a pencil sharpener - I didn't belong there and instead of feeling like I was giving my best, it always seemed I never had enough to give. When the difficulties with my wayward son intensified, I couldn't focus on anything, let alone leadership or writing. But here I am, reviewing - of all things -  a book on writing.

Nicole Gulotta (author of Eat This Poem - a book I'll have to seek) shares her own journey as a writer in Wild Words: Rituals, Routines, and Rhythms for Braving the Writer's Path. She talks of the various seasons we endure. I related to several: The Season of Self-Doubt, Discontent, Liminal Space, and Retreating. Even though I poured myself into writing during my season of raising young children, I never experienced those conflicts of interest. It was something I had to do, and I carved out time to write. Nor could I relate to the season of Visibility. While Gulotta sent her heart and soul out in her writing, I fearfully hold back from fully presenting my words to the world. In the grand scheme of things, I've submitted relatively few offerings and often to the wrong place (I was ecstatic when one agent requested my manuscript, only to follow his Twitter and discover he despises any reference to God or religion - something that comes out in my writing even when the manuscript isn't a Christian one - no surprises, his response was a "no").

So, after reading this book about the many seasons along the writer's path, am I brave enough to write again? I don't know. For now, I continue to pray for God's direction and guidance. If all I can focus on for this "season" is the struggle with and for my son (well, that and the pandemic) - so be it! Getting him through this monumental obstacle course is far more important than seeing my words in print. My wild words within, in this liminal space, will have to wait.

No comments: