Sunday, April 12, 2020

Book Review: The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a current hot title. While I didn't love this book, I did like plenty of aspects. The concept of stories opening up ten thousand worlds and fresh experiences thrilled me. I loved the many passages articulating why our stories are so very important. The book held my interest, and I was glad I picked up on the story line easily, despite setting it aside for almost three weeks because of my trip to Florida and my decision to complete The Lost Girls of Paris in time for the book club discussion that never occurred.

January Scaller (during the entire audio experience I thought it was spelled like a studious person - ha) has lived almost her whole life as a ward to an eccentric old man who collects artifacts from around the world. Her father explores the world for the well-to-do Mr. Locke and only returns to visit January occasionally. Her world is upended when she happens upon a book claiming to outline ten thousand doors. As January reads the book, she learns her origins, her purpose, and her role in the magical world around her.

This book, like many others, offered an opportunity to hear perspectives that differ from my own. I didn't like much of the side commentary, but I could still appreciate the weaving story about how books take one into a whole further dimension and open up things we might not perceive or experience in any other way. Still, I wouldn't have lost much if I hadn't read the book.

No comments: