Monday, April 20, 2020

Book Review: The Catalyst

I do not share the same perspective and worldview as the author of this book, The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind. And Jonah Berger failed to succeed in changing my mind about my religious beliefs. However, despite his personal viewpoints on issues, he presented some excellent points about changing someone's mind and in an easily digested format. Since I have a very important someone whose mind I wish to change on subjects causing great distress, I eagerly devoured Berger's instructions.

Berger asks, "what are the hidden barriers preventing change in this individual?" He identifies five barriers to change: 1) reactance (if pushed to change, people tend to dig their heels in and push back); 2) endowment (people will continue doing what they have grown accustomed to doing); 3) distance (are you asking for too much?); 4) uncertainty (will change really benefit me?); and 5) corroborating evidence (does the person need more proof?). Berger suggests an acronym to help remember how to REDUCE roadblocks: "reduce Reactance, ease Endowment, shrink Distance, alleviate Uncertainty, and find Corroborating Evidence." Although Berger provides many interesting case studies to illustrate these mind-changing principals, his own perspectives shine through most of them..

So, what was my take-away? Instead of pushing my difficult individual to change his mind, I should ask more questions (like a hostage negotiator, reminding him I'm on his side) and help him change his own mind about the decisions I see as erroneous. I'd love to say with confidence that this change of tactic will resolve everything, but I'm still skeptical. He may need to get to a breaking point before he's open to hearing other perspectives and changing his opinions about the best course of action. I will pray to be a catalyst, when an opening surfaces, and will try to incorporate skills of negotiation in the meantime.

No comments: