Friday, November 15, 2019

Book Review: A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World

I really enjoyed the audio experience of A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World. It was an engaging story and one I thought, until I got to the final disc, I would recommend to my youngest. I will probably still give it to him, however I might wait a year or two because the end of the story has some mature content. Apart from that and a faith-deriding tone, however, it was an outstanding tale. Since Sean is a dog-lover, I know he will relish the story of a boy desperate to retrieve his stolen dog.

Griz lives in an apocalyptic future in an isolated location with only his small family for company. He loves books, so he's read about the world of the past, crowded with cars and people and computers. But it is all foreign to him. Still, he was content in his little slice of world, until a man came and stole his dog. Without even counting the cost, he chases after the man, intent upon retrieving what belongs to him.

The voice was so well done. The pacing, although draggy in bits, was overall sound. But, best of all, the twists in the tale toward the end took me totally by surprise. Perhaps I should have expected them, but they shocked me. I would love to read this one with Sean, but I doubt he'd tolerate a read-aloud. After all, he's almost a teenager. I'll be eager to see if he appreciates it as much as I did.

No comments: