Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Book Review: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

What a beautiful book club read! As I closed The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane, I marveled at how the story came together. I mean that in two ways. One, the author performed an amazing feat of bringing the story elements to a satisfying and telling conclusion. Two, it was amazing to learn in the acknowledgements section about how the story, the novel itself, came together and grew in the author's heart and mind. I always love following the rabbit trails that lead a person to an idea that becomes a germ that becomes a plot that becomes a full-fledged story. Plus, I could relate to her explanation about the title coming first. One of my novels, Dream-catcher and the Frog-kisser, unfolded that way. One night the title popped into my head and before long the conflicted characters appeared and the story developed.

But back to Lisa See's grand accomplishment. After thorough research, she presented a fascinating and educational experience. I rooted for the endearing characters as they faced tragic obstacles and cultural constructs. Moreover, I ended the book with a sense of satisfaction for a story well-told, something that doesn't happen often enough for me these days in my reading.

Li-yan lives in an isolated, backwards village in China. The Akha villagers grow a special tea called Pu'er. They practice ceremonial cleansing and cling to many superstitious beliefs, seeking the advice of holy men for every personal and corporate issue. As Li-yan's mother, the village mid-wife, teaches her the trade, Li-yan witnesses the birth of twins. Strangely, they perceive this as an evil they must eradicate by killing the cursed babies. Li-yan is bright enough to leave the village and pursue an education, yet she ends up pregnant and unwed (the father, off in Thailand securing the means to marry her). She knows the villagers will view her child as equally cursed. Thus, she flees to a distant city and leaves her baby, in a box with a tea cake, on an orphanage doorstep. When the baby's father returns, they marry and try to retrieve their daughter. Sadly, a couple in the United States have already adopted the baby.

This book was so thought provoking. I loved learning about the Akha people and the Pu'er tea trade. As with Tara Westover's Educated, I contemplated the impact a family has in shaping an individual's identity and perceptions. Like Westover, Li-yan leaves her family and cultural identity behind to pursue life in a wider sphere. The book highlights the tension between family loyalty and personal fulfillment. An even greater tension stems from the bond between mothers and daughters. I ached for Li-yan and her daughter, as each separately longs for information about the other. The book prompted thoughts about the intensity of family bonds, the emotional fallout of adoption, and the importance of cultural and personal identity. Indeed, I would recommend it to my mother, if she could still follow a book's progression. Despite uncomfortable details, the story is well worth digesting. I look forward to our book club discussion.


No comments: