Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Book Review: Point of View

I happened upon this book on the new reads shelf of my library and might have missed it otherwise. It isn't a title I would have sought, apart from seeking a clean read for my audio fare. But, it fit the bill perfectly. Finally, an audio book where my husband and sons can walk into my exercise room and, instead of hearing smut or filthy language, can overhear Biblical references and encouraging words.

Although vaguely aware of Elizabeth Hasselbeck, I had no clue she had been a contestant on Survivor (don't watch television). I knew she served on the panel of The View as the sole Christian conservative voice. In Point of View: A Fresh Look at Work, Faith, and Freedom, I learned that this petite, attractive woman has a firm grasp on the Word of God.

I'm not sure what category this book falls in - it is part memoir, part pep-talk, part self-help, part devotional - but even though the category was fluid, the lessons and life observations were beneficial and Biblical. I enjoy listening to the life story of someone else. It is encouraging to see the way God has led and worked in another person's life. Although we are different in personality (wow - is she a driven individual!), I could relate to most of what she presented and I share her desire to filter everything through the lens of God's perspective, especially through the lens of His Word, the Bible. I appreciated her wisdom about getting along with individuals whose belief-systems don't match yours. I hope my approach to others is as humble and welcoming.

No comments: