Saturday, May 4, 2019

Book Review: Letters Never Sent

During my recent trip to visit my parents in Florida, I sought a book from my own coffers because I am always loathe to risk losing a library book. This book, Letters Never Sent: One Woman's Journey from Hurt to Wholeness, by Ruth E. Van Reken, has sat on my shelf for years. It was a perfect read for a journey - easy to consume in bite-sized pieces amid distractions. The book begins in Nigeria in 1951, just as the author is being sent off to boarding school by her missionary parents. With each subsequent letter, Ruth outlines the difficulties missionary kids face (loneliness, anger, insecurity and guilt). I could well relate, even though my parents never left for foreign soil to serve God. This was an honest, reflective tale.

I appreciated the author's willingness to share a glimpse into the heart and soul of her struggles. We all face different losses and wounds. Ruth's story provides hope on the other side of her personal pain. I wanted to leave the book with my mother. It was a tale she would have enjoyed reading. Instead, I shared the story with her in snippets and brought the book back home. Perhaps I will offer it up to a church library somewhere. My copy deserves further use.

No comments: