Saturday, March 9, 2019

Book Review: The Man Who Wasn't There

The red cover with the intriguing title and the invisible man in black shoes lured me in enough to turn to the inside cover. There I discovered the words that clinched it for me: "latest neuroscience" and the Library Journal's recommendation of this book for fans of Oliver Sacks. I love books on the brain and how it works and Oliver Sacks was the top author for neuroscience books. Sadly, he's gone now, but Anil Ananthaswamy is picking up the reins and filling the void.

The Man Who Wasn't There: Investigations into the Strange New Science of the Self explores fascinating examples of maladies of the brain. Individuals with Cotard's Syndrome believe they are dead. Alzheimer's patients lose their sense of self when their memories loom out of reach due to neurological tangles and plaques. Those struggling with Body Identity Integrity Disorder (BIID) beg for amputation, convinced that one of their limbs doesn't truly belong to their body. Schizophrenics hear someone outside of themselves telling them to do dark and destructive things. Other individuals experience depersonalization in the face of trauma. They feel detached and absent from their lives.

This book is riveting. Strange stories support the scientific terminology so that a layman can understand the disorders and the parts of the brain affected. While I still appreciate Oliver Sacks more (after all, he has a proven track record and many books to choose from), I would certainly attempt another Ananthaswamy book. I intentionally overlooked the Buddhist and evolutionary leanings (not my perspective), but gleaned enough substance to make it worth the investment. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys investigating the brain and its functions.

No comments: