Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Book Review: Nine Perfect Strangers

Liane Moriarty's newest book, Nine Perfect Strangers, graced my list of anticipated books for Fall of 2018. Unfortunately, my name didn't come up in the library hold line until a few weeks ago. Plus, it took a while to get around to reading the book. I had not heard great things about it. In fact, it made a list of books that were let-downs in 2018 on a Facebook poll posted by 4BoysMother, the hilarious Melissa Fenton. But I wouldn't say the book disappointed. It wasn't my favorite Moriarty and wasn't exactly a clean read, but it was reasonably riveting. Although I expected to struggle with the excessive number of characters (after all, it is about nine perfect strangers who meet at a health resort), the author did a fine job of presenting them (even providing mnemonic devices).

So what characters gather together? Francis is a struggling best-selling novelist. Jessica and Ben have plenty of toys but little holding them together. Lars is a homosexual divorce lawyer whose partner wants a baby. Napoleon, Heather, and their daughter Zoe are fleeing associations of their dearly departed son/brother. Carmel's husband dumped her with her four daughters when he sprang for a newer model, and Tony is an ex-football star, facing a crisis of identity and purpose. All nine individuals hope that Tranquillium House will hold the key to transformation and peace (and maybe a little weight loss). But the methods the owner employs are unconventional and they face a more intense internal crisis than they had ever imagined.

A highly readable book, the pages flew away as I embraced each character and the separate stories unfolding. The characters were realistic and flawed. The issues they faced were believable and intense (I cried over the lost son/brother). Indeed, the writing was stellar. However, I bristled at the ideas espoused in the transformation process (intentionally vague here because I don't want to spoil it for the reader). If such events truly took place in real life, it would be horrifying. Again, it wasn't my favorite Moriarty book. Still, I enjoyed getting from the first page to the resolution and final words on page 450 (no useless fluff - every page necessary to get to the denouement). I laughed. I cried. I stepped into the lives of the fictional characters fully. So, although I wouldn't read it again, it was worth the time invested, even if only for learning from a master at character development and plot pacing.

No comments: