Sunday, February 3, 2019

Book Review: Little Heathens

Although I enjoy taking my sons with me to the library (love encouraging them to use all it offers), generally their accompaniment infringes on my ability to wander and browse to my heart's content. Alas, I was in need of another audio book and my youngest wanted to pick up a movie. Knowing his patience would wane quickly, I skimmed the non-fiction section of audio books and pulled two titles with little forethought.

Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression is a fairly interesting memoir. Author Mildred Armstrong Kalish (of my mother-in-law's generation) reflects on her childhood with a great sense of nostalgia for the old-fashioned way of doing things. She highlights the values of thrift, diligence, and hard work (emphasized repeatedly). She doesn't necessarily scorn modern attitudes but certainly glorifies the way things used to be over how modern technology and advancements have devalued certain aspects of life she cherishes. The stories provide a clear and lively glimpse into life on a farm during the Depression. She talks of her education, her chores, her games and satisfactions.

The book offered great storytelling. I loved listening to the exploits of the young boys attempting to topple an old man's outhouse and his expert revenge the following year. I eagerly imagined what it would be like, as a kid, to keep raccoons as pets and to tame young wild horses. It was easy to put myself in the author's shoes and experience these moments right alongside her. However, I wish I had read the book instead of listened. It plodded. She provided many recipes for things I will never make and tips on how to handle chores I will never perform. That was tiresome. Indeed, my son entered the room and said, "What are you listening to? A cookbook?" Ha!

I may recommend this one to my mother-in-law, however, because I know it would appeal to her greatly. She would relish all the old tales. It would remind her of her own childhood (although I don't believe her parents moved from town to live on the farm until later in her life). Anyone who grew up in a rural area between the 1920s and 1930s would probably find something of interest in the life Kalish remembers.

No comments: