Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Book Review: The End of Alzheimer's - Highly Recommend

This book might become a health Bible for me! With an endorsement from Dr. David Perlmutter (author of Brain Maker - my review here), and a subject close to my heart, this book hooked me. How had I missed reading it before since it was published in 2017? The book appeals not only out of interest for my mother's mental decline in dementia, but also for personal reasons.

We have noticed small signs of my own cognitive decline and while it could simply be a psychological bent stemming from my mother's diagnosis (have I talked myself into believing I'm headed down the same path?), it also could be a valid concern. The most notable difficulty I'm experiencing is the inability to call forth words when I need them. I make the craziest word substitutions. We might convulse with laughter when I say "here's your meatloaf" while handing my son a piece of chicken, but the frequency of these mental blips leaves a taste of fear.

As I read Dr. Dale Bredesen's The End of Alzheimers: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline, I saw myself in several of the milder case studies. Indeed, I had paid no attention to the increased stress I experience when it comes to driving, especially to destinations that are unfamiliar. I didn't think of the implications of cognitive decline. When I approached Sean's football coach to introduce myself, he informed me that we had already met (he's the father of one of my son's friends). I had no recollection of that. Moreover, I'm aware of my difficulty retaining new faces and names. But, are all these minor incidents that fall under the cloak of normal aging or do they bear greater significance?

Bredesen's main point is that one pill will not fully treat Alzheimer's and dementia illnesses. They are a cluster of reactions and actually a healthy response to physical threats. The three significant metabolic and toxic threats are: 1) Inflammation; 2) Decline of Supportive Nutrients, Hormones, and Brain-Supporting Molecules; and 3) Toxic Substances (mercury, mold, etc.). I have been in a hormonal imbalance ever since the birth of my third son. But, I found the third cause especially significant, because shortly after the onset of my mother's decline they dealt with a significant mold issue in their kitchen and remained living in the home throughout the mold removal. Of course, my husband was quick to ask, "Why, then, didn't your father develop dementia, as well?" But, I wonder if his mental acuity is as sharp as it had been. He has mentioned that he doesn't get a charge out of new technologies like he used to because he cannot keep up with or understand how to make the things work (gadgets on his Prius, etc.). And if he declines, who will care for my mother?

The author explains the all-encompassing nature of Alzheimer's with a word picture of damage to a roof. Hail might have created 36 different holes and it will not address the problem if you only focus on one hole. He claims there are "36 metabolic factors that can trigger 'down-sizing' in the brain." He has created a treatment plan called the RECODE protocol. It includes an extensive array of supplements, dietary changes, and physical lifestyle shifts. He recommends undergoing a cognoscopy (a host of tests to determine triggers of decline, or what he calls "dementogens"). He calls his anti-Alzheimer's diet "the Ketoflex 12/3". It combines a ketogenic, flexitarian diet with a 12-16 hour over-night fast (also aimed at promoting ketosis).

I was so enthralled with his theories and prescriptions for preventing further cognitive decline that I purchased a Kindle copy of this book (moreover, I plan to recommend it to my father). The true question is whether I can follow parts of the protocol (I know it would be unrealistic to think I could implement everything the book recommends). I intend to give it a shot. I had already made several month's worth of progress with altering to a plant-based diet when I felt a threat of gall-bladder issues. Of course, with the holidays, I eased up on my resolve and returned to my normal lax dietary habits.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with a loved one battling dementia or Alzheimer's. Or to anyone who recognizes elements of cognitive decline in themselves. It certainly cannot hurt to attempt to prevent further disease by making lifestyle and dietary changes. The book claims hundreds of patients have seen a reversal of symptoms while following the protocol. Even doctors who poo-poohed Bredesen's approach have had to eat their words in response to recognition of visible improvements. I don't want to put myself or my family through the harrowing experience of mental decline. Regardless of whether I carry the ApoE4 gene that implicates Alzheimer's (am fearful to take those genetic tests, because who wants to know such a future awaits), it cannot hurt to make changes now to stave off debilitating alterations later. So, this critically important book (only $1.99 on Kindle - how can you pass it up?) truly may become my health Bible!

No comments: