Saturday, January 12, 2019

Book Review: Last Christmas in Paris

This fun book had so much appeal: Christmas, Paris, an epistolary novel. The cover alone would have compelled me to bite. I enjoyed Last Christmas in Paris immensely. It intrigued me to learn that it was co-written by two women who met and became friends through the suggestion of their mutual agent. I would love to be introduced to a kindred spirit, find a fast and easy friendship, and collaborate on an epistolary novel (you write the letters from your character and I'll write the letters from mine and it will have a natural flow of realistic progression). Heck, I'd even just like to find a kindred spirit with whom to correspond. Or, even better, to have an agent in the first place, ha!

The tag line for this book is perfect: "When war pulled them apart, their words brought them together." An elderly Thomas Harding returns to Paris with a handful of wartime letters. The story that unfolds through the letters not only gives a glimpse into life during WWI but also provides a love story to letters, an expose' on the power of words in wartime, and a stirring connection between young friends.

This was a quick and easy read at the tail end of a holiday. Since I love the epistolary style, I knew I'd appreciate this book. The characters were warm and endearing. The plot unfolded at a leisurely pace. My only regret was that the final letter (the one Thomas is returning to Paris to open) wasn't quite a stunning as the build-up promised. Still, I loved the process of getting from the first letter to the final one. I recommend this book to anyone who loves novels in a letter-style, anyone who loves Paris at Christmas-time, and anyone searching for an engaging historical holiday book.

No comments: