Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Book Review: Peace Like a River

Years ago, when we moved from Illinois to Indiana, a dear writing group friend presented me with a parting gift, Leif Enger's book Peace Like a River, telling me it was one of her favorites. I'm guessing I consumed the book quickly not long after arriving. When the title appeared on this year's book club list, I tried hard to remember details but could only recall the vague impression of a chase after a fugitive from justice and a highly western feel (not my typical choice in books). I must have liked it enough to keep my copy all these years, so I was game to give it a second read.

Perhaps I liked it better the first time around. This time, it seemed an okay book, but I marveled that the L.A. Times considered it a "Best Book of the Year." The back cover declares it "a heroic quest, a tragedy, and a love story," rolled up in one. The endorsements reflect a general desire to see the ordinary become the extraordinary. The book released in 2001, so possibly we were simply a nation desperate for hope and faith amid gritty tragedy.

Reuben Land has always had difficulty breathing. From his first moments of life, when his pious father prayerfully commanded him to breathe, Reuben has believed in miracles. He tells the story of his eleventh year, the year his older brother, Davy, took justice into his own hands. Reuben's precocious younger sister Swede copes with the ensuing confusion by writing polished western ballads fraught with conflict between good and evil. However Reuben is intent upon bearing witness to the miraculous events surrounding his father and remaining loyal and true to his family.

The writing was splendid, and I enjoyed the humor sprinkled throughout (My favorite was a humorous passage where the brother and sister create sing-song rhymes about approaching a roadside gas pump and then the proprietor's hilarious responses to their interactions.) I appreciated the gentle nudge toward faith and belief in miracles, without heavy-handedness. This secular book with faith elements offers enough fodder for thought to get the reader pondering deeper issues of life.

Who knows? Maybe I was more in need of the miraculous myself at that earlier time in my life. Although it wasn't my favorite book club selection, I thoroughly enjoyed our discussion of the book. It enhanced my understanding of the themes and symbolism. I would call it a decent read, but I'm perplexed by the extent of favor. Enger's newest book, called Virgil Wander, released in early October and I'm tempted to give it a try.

No comments: