Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Book Review: Daily Writing Resilience

Both aspiring and seasoned writers face rejection and powerful bouts of self-doubt. Any writer will tell you it comes with the territory. So often, for me, fear holds me back from launching my writing into the world. I've written before outlining my question of whether my writing talent amounts to a puddle or a lake (clearly not an ocean, much less a tsunami). But what if every writer could receive a pep talk in their ear before they embark on a writing session? Football teams always approach their goal with a motivational speech to fire up the players. Why not writers, too?

In Daily Writing Resilience, Bryan E. Robinson, PhD, provides 365 motivational nuggets for writers. He acknowledges the struggle and offers comfort, reassurance, and inspiration. So many non-writers hold a simplistic view of the writing process. To them, you write a book, find an editor, and get published. Plenty of friends and family members pass along websites promising an easy path to publication. I appreciate their well-wishes, but those who are in the trenches know the battle is brutal and the results aren't always remarkable. Often you must slough through the valley of despair and force yourself to keep on trying.

I recommend this book for any writer who struggles with self-doubt or discouragement. If you buy the book, you can use it as intended, in daily doses. Since I had a limited window, on loan from the library, I copied several quotes and inspirational thoughts. Each page has a quote, a meditation, and a takeaway. Several of the takeaway passages provided fodder for my daily free-association writing.

A few of my favorite quotes: "I love my rejection slips. They show me I try." - Sylvia Plath, and "Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open." - Natalie Goldberg

A few of my favorite takeaways: "What does your heart long to say?"; "How committed are you to honing your craft?"; and "If you give up, you'll never know if you had it in you to pull it off!" As the author reminds the writer again and again, "the #1 key to writing success isn't good writing, but instead - perseverance!"

No comments: