Thursday, June 21, 2018

Book Review: The Night Child

How do I give an adequate fair review to this intense debut novel by Anna Quinn? On the one hand, I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I listened to the whole thing (my husband actually suggested it was something I shouldn't really open my mind to because of the extremely graphic nature of the descriptions of child sexual abuse - yes, he had to walk into the room every time a difficult scene arose). It was quite uncomfortable and I was wishing I had encountered the book in tangible form so that I could skim quickly through the more disturbing explicit bits. However, I have nothing but praise for the writing. It was a very well-written debut novel and, the intensity aside, quite an accomplishment. I would have toned down the descriptions, but then, perhaps that would have rendered the novel less effective.

The Night Child tells the harrowing story of Nora Brown, a teacher who is startled and taken by surprise when a girl's face appears before her. She is convinced she is going crazy and seeks the advice of a psychiatrist who helps her uncover the childhood trauma that left her inner being fractured and emotionally-scarred. With a six year old daughter of her own, Nora is devastated when the memories of her six-year-old self begin to force themselves to the surface. Can she protect herself and her daughter from the fall-out of her painful past?

While it is a very difficult novel to digest, it stands as a faithful representation of significant childhood trauma. The topic is indeed uncomfortable and disturbing, but for women who have endured similar traumas it might provide a sense of solidarity and understanding (although for one Amazon reviewer who warns against the book, it hits too close to home for an abuse survivor). Clearly, the book is not for everyone. It is painful and raw, told with heart-breaking honesty and vulnerability. I would hesitate to recommend it to Christian friends because of the intensity of the explanations. But, I dare say, there are women who would be willing to walk a mile in Nora's painful shoes, despite the discomfort.

No comments: