Saturday, February 17, 2018

Book Review: Monster

This wasn't a selection I normally would have picked out for myself, but it was thankfully a very quick read (Trevor was flabbergasted when I read it entirely in one afternoon). Trevor required a parent signature in order to read this assigned text for his 7th grade language arts class. I immediately thought, "What's in the book to make it controversial?" In the end, I signed the form to allow Trevor to read the book.

Sixteen-year-old Steve Harmon is an African American boy standing trial for participating in a robbery gone wrong that ended in murder. Although he didn't hold the gun or pull the trigger, he allegedly served as lookout man casing the store before the thugs entered. Steve decides to present his case, his trial, and his feelings by writing a play about the proceedings. Through his script, the reader experiences his fear and trembling while facing the consequences of wanting to appear tough on the street.

I suppose the teacher was concerned some parents might not appreciate this assigned book because it references some horrendous behaviors that take place in the prison. While nothing happens directly to Steve, he does overhear things. I talked with Trevor briefly about the sexual attacks that often take place in prisons. I'm not concerned about this reading material, but I can see how some parents might wish to shelter their tween or teen from such realities. I appreciated the teacher's effort to alert parents. It does provide discussion-worthy content. However, if I look at this selection from a teacher's perspective, I feel there are so many more deserving books out there to inspire our students and to move their hearts and souls. I'm not sure it would have made the cut if I'd been in charge.

Indeed - stay tuned for my next book review post - a YA book that I feel would have been a better choice to prompt discussion about racial tensions in a far more productive and edifying manner.

No comments: