Sunday, February 14, 2016

Book Review: Silver Linings

When pressed for time during a brief library run, I picked up this audio book, Silver Linings, by Debbie Macomber, because I knew I'd be needing a new audio book soon. Her stories are always easy to listen to and full of realistic characters. This book continued that trend and I was thankful for a good listen during my morning walk time. Although the book is the fourth in the Rose Harbor series, I don't think I missed out on anything by reading this one out of order. It was easily a stand-alone novel.

Three separate women are reeling from romantic involvements in this story. Jo Marie Rose, owner of the Rose Harbor Inn, has recently fallen for her handy man, Mark Taylor, after a few years of mourning the loss of her fallen soldier husband. Despite declaring his love for her, Mark decides abruptly to leave Cedar Cove for reasons he will not articulate to Jo Marie.

Meanwhile, she is hosting two young women who have returned to Cedar Cove for their ten-year high school reunion. Coco is hoping for a chance to give Ryan a piece of her mind based on the anger and resentment that have simmered below the surface for the last ten years over a wrong from the past. Katie is wanting to meet up with her old flame, James, to explain why she suddenly vanished from his life once high school was done. Coco learns a good deal about herself and about the ability to change over time. Katie mourns her loss deeply, but embraces a chance for new beginnings.

I think my favorite parts of the story focused on the lessons of forgiveness. Everyone needs to be reminded that forgiveness lightens a heavy load. Moreover, the vicarious enjoyment of romance relationships was a fun attribute to the book. I'm glad I picked it up.

No comments: