Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Book Review: A Wrinkle in Time

As I finished re-reading A Wrinkle in Time, I was struck by how appropriate it was that I selected this book to be a book my main character is reading in the novel I just completed last month. There are so many parallels between the character sentiments, theme, and quotations of the book with those in my book. I ended my book with a verse of Scripture (even though it is not a Christian young adult book - it was simply an appropriate quote for the moment of closure) and that same Scripture is quoted in Madeleine L'Engle's book.

This book brings great strength and emotional fortitude to my main character as she faces the challenges before her. It is a book about two children attempting to save a family member and my book also is about a sister attempting to save a sister. L'Engle's book emphasizes the importance of differences in a world bent on eliminating individuality and illness, just as my book does. What a perfect fit for a reference.

Margaret Murray has great difficulty managing her life in school. People think both she and her younger brother, Charles Wallace, are dumb, while they simply have a different way of thinking and perceiving and reacting to things. Their father, a scientist who has mysteriously vanished, is rumored to have run off with another woman, although Meg knows that cannot be true. When Charles Wallace and Meg meet the three strange ladies, Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which, their lives are thrown off balance and they travel on a mysterious trip to attempt to rescue their father from another dimension.

This is a classic tale of good versus evil. It demonstrates the underdog triumphing over the enemy. Great meaning is drawn from beneath the story. Although I'm not feeling sucked in enough to want to continue with the series, it was certainly a perfect read for a followup to my novel writing.

No comments: