Saturday, June 7, 2014

Book Review: Lemon Meringue Pie Murder

Lemon Meringue Pie Murder is book four in the Hannah Swensen mystery series. I have been enjoying the books, although I do prefer to listen to them rather than reading them myself, for some reason. Plus, this time there was a recipe I felt I absolutely must jot down. It was for low-calorie pancakes using cottage cheese in the batter. Sounds interesting. I'll have to try it sometime.

This time around the murder didn't occur right at the beginning of the book. There was some build-up to the actual event and then a slightly lengthy process to get to the bottom of it (although I doubt it was any longer than any of the other mysteries in the series - just felt a bit long). Hannah is intrigued to learn that one of her two love interests, Norman Rhodes, is buying a house and is going to tear it down to rebuild it using the plans that they collaborated on for a house designing contest. Does this mean he is going to pop the question? Who knows? Before she can linger on that thought too much, the previous owner of the house turns up dead in the basement. Much to her surprise, Detective Mike Kingston, her other love-interest, doesn't even try to stop her from joining in on the investigation.

Although the plot was a bit harder to follow (seemed to meander too much and require an awful lot of willful suspension of disbelief), it was still a decent mystery and the strings were all tied up in the end. I think I have as much fun following Hannah's life story as it progresses through the books as I do following the clues for each mystery. Of course, the fun recipes are always a plus, too. If you're ever wanting a cozy, light-hearted, easy-reading mystery series, look no further than Joanne Fluke's murder mystery series.

No comments: