Thursday, June 24, 2010

Book Review: In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day


I wanted to read this book the moment I read the title in a review of the book on Bob Hostetler's blog. And, if the title didn't lure me in, the number of quotes Bob pulled from the book during his review certainly did. Then again, perhaps it was just a lion God sent for me to chase into a pit (or Trevor's bed, where I read most of this, often reading bits of it aloud at Trevor's request).

Mark Batterson hones in on two obscure verses of Scripture (2 Samuel 23:20-21). These verses describe Benaiah, a valiant warrior who chased a lion down into a pit on a snowy day and caught and killed that lion. This act paved the road for Benaiah's future position as the head of King David's bodyguards.

The full title of the book is In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars. I will admit that, lately, my focus is on surviving, but this book inspired me to want to thrive far more. It jump-started my flagging prayer life with a renewed prayer for God to send me a lion (and give me the courage not to run away).

Originally, I planned to buy the book for my brother (a pastor) and then read it when he finished. It didn't work out that way, but I showed him the book when I went for a brief visit a few weeks ago. He's presently moving and has no time for reading.

Imagine my great surprise when I discovered the title at Goodwill last week! I snatched it up, for 69 cents, despite already owning an Amazon copy on my bedside table at home. Now I can keep the thrift store copy and mail the brand-new copy to my brother once he reaches his new appointment in Peoria. What an opportune time to read the book, too, as he embarks on a new ministry opportunity.

I'm guessing God is hammering some important points into my brain, because this book follows a similar trail as the previous book I reviewed (Better Than My Dreams). I'm tempted to view my current circumstances as a powerful negative in my life. I live in an isolated location with little to challenge me beyond keeping preschoolers occupied and a house tidy. With no friends and no destinations in my down-time, I lack the energy to get through a day. Yet, God plans to use these circumstances for good. As Batterson convincingly argues:

"God is in the business of strategically positioning us in the right place at the right time. God is awfully good at getting us where He wants us to go. But here's the catch: The right place often seems like the wrong place, and the right time often seems like the wrong time."

"We want everything in our favor. But maybe God wants to stack the odds against us so we can experience a miracle of divine proportions."

Batterson's words aren't merely a pep talk. He directs the reader to a realistic view of God (the Omniscient One, the Grand Master in our life's game of chess). He emphasizes the importance of immersion in Scripture and the power of worship and prayer to revitalize our vision and purpose.

He says, "Faith is unlearning the senseless worries and misguided beliefs that keep us captive.... Faith is rewiring the human brain. Neurologically speaking, that is what we do when we study Scripture. We are literally upgrading our minds by downloading the mind of Christ."

He encourages us to re-frame our problems with worship. He says, "Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshipping what's right with God... stop focusing on what's wrong with your circumstances and start focusing on what's right with God."

Batterson wants us to realize the blessing in adversity. He writes, "We may dream of zero gravity, but what we really need is a healthy dose of adversity.... I'm convinced that the people God uses the most are often the people who have experienced the most adversity.... Your ability to help others heal is limited to where you've been wounded."

I loved his illustration of how his broken left ankle caused him to gain strength in his right leg sufficient to reach his goal of making a slam-dunk. He writes, "God breaks us where we need to be broken. He fractures the pride and lust and anger in our lives, but He does it to remodel us into His image. And once we heal, we end up stronger than we were to begin with."

A few of my favorite quotes about prayer were: "When my prayer life is hitting on all eight cylinders, I can believe God for everything. But when I'm in a prayer slump, I have a hard time believing God for anything." And, "When I'm not in prayer mode, I have good ideas. But when I'm in prayer mode, I have God ideas. And I'd rather have one God idea than a thousand good ideas."

It brings me back to my current struggles. I want to view others as having a perfect life, with vibrant ministry opportunities, God-centered homes, godly children, even though I know that appearances can be deceiving. I covet their ease, their blessings. But, in the back of my mind, I also question whether I should really envy them.

It reminds me of a time when a Filipino asked me why God allows people in the U.S. such abundance while those in the Philippines remain in poverty. I imagine my response wasn't helpful. I spoke of the great temptation Americans face to assume they're responsible for their circumstances or possessions as opposed to the blessing Filipinos experience in full reliance upon God. Who is better off?

I recently posted a Brennan Manning benediction on Facebook. A friend wrote to let me know the quote bothered her. She said, "So, if your life was the inspiration for that post you wrote saying 'May all your expectations be frustrated, May all your plans be thwarted, May all your desires be withered into nothingness So that you may experience the poverty and powerlessness of a child ... And sing and dance in the great compassionate heart of God.' well then, dang. That sucks. I gotta be honest - I pretty much hated that post. What exactly does that mean? It sounds like it's saying 'I hope your life sucks so that you can be happy.' I'm not buying it."

I appreciated her honesty and can easily look at it that way myself. Who would want to invite life's hardships just so we can rely on God more fully? But, I also agree with Mark Batterson, when he writes:

"At the end of our lives ... we'll thank God for the lions and bears and giants ... we'll thank God for the pits and lions and snowy days. This may sound somewhat sadistic, but follow the logic: It's our past problems that prepare us for future opportunities. So someday we may be as grateful for the bad things as the good things because the bad things helped prepare us for the good things."

Thanks to this book, I want to chase lions. I plan to knock my problems down to size by reminding myself of how big God is. I must shift my focus from the problems to the God who will carry me through those problems. I will quit praying safe prayers, but instead pray for God to send me even more lions. He can provide the courage and capacity to face those lions and prevail, for His name's sake! In my view that's a pretty successful book.

No comments: