Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Review: Thorn in my Heart


As I set out to drive to the CMI Alumni Reunion in my husband's car (extremely thankful for his working CD player), I popped in the first disc of Liz Curtis Higgs' Thorn in My Heart. To be honest, I had no idea that the book was going to be a retelling of Scripture; although, I did know that it was Christian fiction. What had drawn me to check this out from the library was the endorsement by Tracie Peterson on the back of the case. She writes, "A moving account of love, deception, redemption, and hope. I was hooked from the first page."

I definitely agree with her first sentence, but disagree with the second. From the outset, despite the fact that the tale is set in Scotland in 1788, I could tell that it was going to be the tale of Jacob and Esau. Given Scotland's history for clan feuding, this was a clever choice of setting. But, I found myself wondering if I should set it aside and pick up one of the other audio books I had packed. It wasn't until the story moved into the second portion, where two sisters (Leah and Rachel) vied for one man's affections, that I began to feel hooked in the story.

I have often wondered about Leah. How did she endure those long years of trying to earn her husband's affections by producing male offspring? Why would God allow Leah to live in such poverty of love, knowing that her husband preferred her sister and was tricked into marrying her? Did her children really fill the longing for love she must have experienced?

Although Thorn in my Heart merely re-tells the Biblical tale (it cannot be expected to follow the story entirely), it does present the emotional and spiritual issues of these Biblical characters. Jamie's (Jacob) deception has forced him to leave home and seek shelter with a distant relative. When he arrives, he immediately falls for the younger sister, Rose (Rachel). Leana (Leah) is about to be married off to a man she disdains. When this arrangement is interrupted by misunderstanding, Leana believes she is done for. However, her crafty father (Laban) has plans to redeem the situation.

I must admit, I cried as I listened to the final disc of the story. This tale provided so much to think about. Even today, many individuals find themselves living in a loveless marriage. God provided the comfort and determination Leana needed in her situation. Her example of loving faithfully, though unloved, was powerful. Indeed, her love became a symbol of the way God loves us. He is steadfastly faithful, despite our insistence upon chasing other means of fulfillment for the hole in our heart which He was designed to fill.

Liz Curtis Higgs has written three other books in this series. I'm wondering if they are all a re-telling of Scripture. I'm pretty sure they all are set in Scotland. She has also written a book called My Heart's In the Lowlands, detailing a ten day trip through Scotland. Wouldn't it be fantastic if I could find a book club reading these four books? Wouldn't it be truly over the top, if that book club then decided to take a trip together to Scotland, following the journey set out in My Heart's In the Lowlands? Ah, to dream the impossible dream ...

No comments: