Monday, September 7, 2020

Book Review: Katie Up and Down the Hall

Because of an unpleasant experience with a large, overly playful dog in my early years, I developed a hesitant response to dog ownership. Then, to further it along, we adopted a rambunctious goldendoodle named Harley (never grew to like his name, yet never changed it). Harley was so beyond my ability to train and discipline (not unlike some children I know - wink). But, I must say, having had our shichon Toby for almost 3 years now, I can fully understand how a dog can burrow in and capture your heart.

Katie Up and Down the Hall tells the story of Glenn Plaskin's experience with his cocker spaniel. Living alone, he relished the thought of a dog's companionship. He never expected the way his little puppy would widen his world. A chance encounter with a dog-loving couple, Arthur and Pearl, down the hall leads to a happy second home for Katie. She wanders back and forth between the two apartments. Pearl and Arthur fall in love with Katie and Glenn appreciates their gracious dog-sitting offer. Drawn into the apartment by Katie, Glenn begins to look upon this elderly couple as a surrogate set of grandparents. Not long after, John and his toddler Ryan move into an apartment on the hall, and the circle widens. Through it all, the love of a dog cements these individuals together. They endure illness, career shifts, depression, death, and a tragic terrorist attack.

Plaskin's writing is effortless and captivating. I forgot there was an author because I was so absorbed in the story (those are always the best audio experiences because my treadmill miles fly by). What a beloved dog! What a gift of friendship she opened for them! Almost made me want to live in an apartment, so my cute Toby could cement a family of friends for me. It was intriguing to hear an insider's look at the 9/11 aftermath. I don't know why, but I never thought about the upheaval it must have caused for nearby residents. Dog-lovers will love this delightful tale of canine companionship and connection. But my words won't persuade you nearly as much as this seductive trailer for the book:


No comments: