Sunday, September 20, 2020

Book Review: The Gift of Forgiveness

If you want a reminder to count your blessings, just step into someone else's shoes a time or two and you will recognize your gifts anew. That's what happened when I completed Katherine Schwarzenegger Pratt's book, The Gift of Forgiveness: Inspiring Stories from Those Who Have Overcome the Unforgivable. With each story in this book, my personal woes shrunk by comparison. I have so much to thank God for, yet too often I allow little things to impede articulating my gratitude.

Kidnapping, murder, rape, suicide. These are truly harrowing examples of obstacles others face. Although I don't think my personal attitudes about forgiveness shifted, the book reinforced the need for forgiveness. Basically, resentment is a soul-sucker. You remain imprisoned, clinging to your perspective. Far better to forgive offenses and move on, throwing the key to that prison away. As the author pointed out, the gift of forgiveness is not something you give the offender, but rather something you give yourself to obtain freedom from the burden.

No comments: