Monday, August 24, 2020

Book Review: The Splendid and the Vile

You can always trust Erik Larson to tell a grand story of historical significance! In the past, I've reviewed Thunderstruck, Dead Wake, and In the Garden of Beasts. This time, he presents Winston Churchill and his family throughout the Blitz. For many days I wavered on whether to attack this at this time. I put my name on the hold list as soon as I saw the audio book listed. It came in while I was listening to The Masterpiece (another lengthy fare). Thus, I didn't begin The Splendid and the Vile until twelve days before it was due and it included 14 audio discs.

To further complicate things, I have been having trouble with my knees. I used to walk 2-1/2 to 3 miles daily at between 3.6 and 3.9 miles per hour. Then the pain set in. I slowed my walking down to between 3.4 and 3.6 and still try to stay on for at least a half hour, but sometimes can't. Undaunted, I plunged ahead, seizing more listening time during the drive home from taking Trevor to his ranch internship. Thankfully, I finished the book on its due date.

Since I was listening in many settings (car, treadmill, kitchen), I had difficulty focusing. Still, I enjoyed this well-written WWII saga. Larson used many primary sources (journals, official documents, letters, etc.), so the authentic quotations fleshed out the story nicely. What struck me time and time again was Churchill's skill for rallying courage and morale. He maintained a positive outlook throughout and despised when individuals would paint reality with depressing strokes. As the book explained, he did not minimize the gravity of the events, yet encouraged confidence and fearlessness taught by example. He was candid, yet inspiring. He acknowledged the intensity of the struggle, yet never doubted their ability to defeat evil.

My struggles these days are daunting: pandemic, prodigal parenting, questions of school plans, financial climate, etc. - waves of doubt and confusion. If I could muster Churchill's confidence and fearlessness, it would be worth every minute of listening to his life story (18 hours long). We all need encouragement and bolstering these days.

As for my knees, well ... I've been searching for a recumbent exercise bike. My husband loathes putting things together, yet I cannot stomach the $89 assembly fee that Walmart charges (should I buy their cheapest recumbent bike for $175 - an Exerpeutic - a brand I trust because I love my Exerpeutic walking treadmill). I tried Play it Again Sports, but their bikes were too expensive. I should probably simply walk outdoors on a softer surface to relieve the issue, but that would mean confronting the elements. Plus, I should lose some of the weight I put back on at the start of the pandemic. Since my exercise regimen is challenged, that puts more responsibility on wise food choices at a time when ice cream calls even louder. Come on, Wendy! Courage in the face of trial!

No comments: