Monday, August 17, 2020

Book Review: My Wife Said You May Want to Marry Me

How did I miss the buzz surrounding this book? Apparently, Amy Krouse Rosenthal (an author of memoirs and children's books) wrote an article in the New York Times called "You May Want to Marry My Husband." It was a heartbreaking love letter to her husband as she battled terminal cancer, her way of encouraging him to live a happy and fulfilled life without her. Jason Rosenthal responded to her letter, her life, her death, and her legacy in this memoir, My Wife Said You May Want to Marry Me.

What a privilege to open a window on someone else's life. I will admit to fighting jealousy (not of the tragedy, of course, but of the rich love story and life they built for themselves before tragedy disrupted everything). Their lives seemed idyllic and full of joy, friends, fulfilling work, and constant goals. If only I had half of Amy's drive and creativity. If only I had an ounce of their intentional parenting (they traveled with their kids for several weeks every year to open unknown experiences for them). But, I'm sure they would have rather had dull lives, unsuited to a memoir. How sad that cancer altered their lives and brought them into the public eye.

Actually, Amy was already in the public eye, thanks to her writing, her ingenuity, and her drive. After reading Jason's memoir, I couldn't help but seek more information. I found several TED talks given by both Amy and Jason. While watching the TED talks, I realized Amy pushed a truth that she lived out even before cancer: make the most of your time here. She was a bright spot in the world, and I wish I had known her. With her love of wordplay, her creativity, her commitment and drive for excellence ... well, she sounds like not only great friend material, but an irreplaceable spouse (although it sounds like he may have found love again). Hopefully, I'll be able to find a few more books (she has written many and Jason also wrote one with his daughter). For now, I sit inspired to do more with my one insignificant life and to beckon the lovely as she did with flair.

No comments: