Sunday, June 21, 2020

Book Review: It's Not Supposed to Be This Way

I was glad when my library began to offer drive-up services. I put a hold on Lysa Terkeurst's It's Not Supposed to Be This Way in audio. I was quickly drawn into the tale of her life and admired both her vulnerability and humility. I've had my share of "it wasn't supposed to be this way" moments. I needed this reminder to place it all, the dust and debris and disappointments of our lives, into God's hands and allow him to spit life into it and form something anew.

Toward the end of the audiobook, she talked about a concept I've already had cemented into my head in other terms. I've mentioned before, the sermon I heard as a teen where the preacher emphasized "what has your attention, has you" repeatedly, until I held it fast in my brain. I like the way Lysa put it - "I will steer where I stare." Such a succinct and potent truth. I wanted to take down her "fighting words," so I secured the e-book from Hoopla and discovered further gems at the end of each chapter (questions to ponder and Scripture to penetrate). So, I think I would recommend the physical book over the audiobook. Indeed, I may have to check the physical book out from the library so I can photocopy the "fighting words" in Chapter Ten. If you are facing disappointments or a situation you didn't anticipate or want, please allow the words of this book (and of The Book she quotes throughout) to penetrate the emotions of your trial. And by all means, be careful where you focus your attention, because you will certainly steer the car of your life in the direction you stare.


No comments: