Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Book Review: Hometown Legend

This was not a book I normally would have picked up or read. I'm sure Jerry Jenkins is a fine writer (I've listened to several of his writing tips and even considered joining his writing course). Still, I don't seek football books, unless I'm skimming them to offer them to my sons. If I recall, the library had an audio book sale, clearing out their old cassette fare. I purchased a Maeve Binchy, and you got one free, thus Hometown Legend came home in my bag.

Cal Sawyer owns a failing company that produces leather footballs. His business provides employment for many in his struggling town. But business isn't the only thing drying up. The once vibrant high school football team's only hope is in the return of a coach who lost his son during the last game he coached. Can Cal save the business? Will the coach rouse his players to victory? What does it take to have a faith that endures through loss?

I enjoyed the narration, and the story was interesting. It has everything a football fan could want: a down-on-its-luck team, a town fighting extinction, a drifter with wicked talent, and even a few dashes of romance. Still, it felt predictable, and the happy ever-after ending seemed too sunny. While the book conveys that winning isn't the primary goal, and that genuine faith persists despite loss, the message is packed in almost too neat a package. The book released on September 10th, 2001, so its timeline doesn't reflect America's reality. Who knows? If my sons want to watch the movie version, available through Amazon Prime, I might be game.

No comments: