Monday, October 8, 2018

Book Review: Ghosted

With Liane Moriarty's endorsement on the cover, I was game to give this book, Ghosted, a try. The premise is intriguing. After Sarah and Eddie spend a week together falling in love, Eddie leaves for a brief trip with a promise to call when he returns... but the call never comes. Convinced something is keeping him from calling, Sarah cannot let go despite that advice from her friends. Is it merely a guy thing? The tendency to renege on a promised call. Or is something desperately wrong?

This book was a mind-blower. It reminds me of the movie, "The Game." Just when you think you've figured out what's going on, it pulls the rug out from under you and you have to re-frame your point of reference. The twists and turns were unexpected and shocking. As soon as I finished, I wanted to read it a second time, to go back and experience those first moments of exposition with a fuller understanding at my disposal. This author is skilled at dropping small clues and red herrings so you don't even know you've made assumptions. I long to dissect this novel from a writer's perspective, to study and learn from it.

But, it was rather contrived. How could she be pining so intensely after a seven-day romance? Plus, I should warn, it wasn't a clean novel. I'm always perturbed when a woman meets a man and beds him on the first night (where is prudence and restraint?). Thus, I had to force down my ethical disturbance. I kept hearing myself tell the characters they wouldn't find themselves in this pickle if they had acted with more integrity, honesty, and chastity.

Still, the author does an outstanding job of creating a sense of love and longing, of dissecting grief, and exploring the crazy things that often tear us apart. I rooted for resolution and redemption. By Part Two and Part Three, I was riveted. I devoured the book, desperate to solve the puzzle. If you can suspend your disbelief and brace yourself for shaky ground, this book provides a wild ride and enough unexpected trajectories to keep you guessing right until the end.

No comments: