Friday, September 28, 2018

Book Review: Gracie's Secret

The cover of Gracie's Secret is gorgeous and inviting. The premise is intriguing. The hook offered on the back cover reads:

"Time stops for Jen when her beloved daughter, Gracie, is involved in a terrible car crash. Pronounced dead at the scene, it's a miracle when paramedics manage to then resuscitate the little girl.

"The relief Jen feels at Gracie's recovery is matched only by her fury at the driver of the car - her ex-husband's new girlfriend Ella.... But then Gracie begins to tell strange stories about what she heard in the car that day, and what she saw in those moments near death. It's clear that there's something shocking hidden in Ella's past... but exposing it could tear all their lives apart."

Though sucked in at once, I soon grew weary of this tiresome mother. How can she keep losing track of her three-year-old? If it happened once, I'd be vigilant for the rest of my lifetime, yet the toddler wanders off three or four times. This is especially shocking given the depth of love this mother supposedly feels for her cherished child (a worship to the point of obsession).

Still, I went along, despite shuddering when the reader knows the new boyfriend isn't the best choice for a rebound relationship (and don't expect a clean read, even though the narration is directed from mother to daughter). He repeatedly affirms that they belong together and are good for one another. I needed more convincing. I guess I wanted to shake the protagonist too many times. Plus, the dual narration between Jen and Ella didn't flow as well as I would have liked. It was an enticing read, just not as satisfying as I had hoped. I'd give it two and a half stars. It didn't take my breath away (as promised on the back cover), but it kept me turning pages, sometimes to my regret.

No comments: