Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Book Review: Truly Devious

I recognized this author's name from her book called 13 Little Blue Envelopes. I knew I'd enjoy that one because it was an epistolary novel about England. This one, however, was billed as a murder mystery. I was intrigued. Alas, it was only after I secured the book and glanced ahead to see how many pages were in the whole that I realized it was the first book in a series. Generally, I like to read series books only once the entire series is made available. I'm not patient enough for the endless waiting to know how the story line is resolved. As expected, this one ends with an open-ended clue of more to come. I will have to wait out the next installment (Truly Devious only came out on January 16, 2018 - I might have been the first library patron to read it).

Stevie Bell is a devoted fan of mysteries and true crime stories. In fact, the only reason she's at the famous Ellingham Academy (a private school in Vermont where qualifying students attend for free) is due to her intense desire to solve the crime that occurred on the grounds some eighty years before. Back in 1936, the founder's wife and daughter were mysteriously kidnapped. At the same time, a student at the school disappeared. While the bodies of the wife and student were found, the daughter's whereabouts remain unsolved. Stevie is sure that if she can get closer to the evidence (including the death threat riddle sent shortly prior to the crime), she will prove her detective chops and solve the case. Sadly, before she can solve that crime, another one occurs on the grounds and Stevie herself witnesses a troubling further riddle. Has the anonymous murderer who goes by "Truly Devious" struck again?

As School Library Journal proclaims, "Fans of puzzles, boarding school stories, and true crime will tear through this book and love every minute." I also agree with author John Green, who calls it "compulsively readable." While I didn't fall in love with any other character besides the protagonist, I was certainly swept into the tale. The writing felt absolutely effortless, almost like the story was dictated by some external force. Every sentence lures the reader in further. I did have a bit of trouble keeping the many characters straight, but the author managed the time hops quite well (she jumps, without any difficulties whatsoever, from a story of murder set in the 30s to a present-day cast of characters exploring the murder as a cold case). That is saying something.

The sad thing? I'm left hanging, wondering about the many clues uncovered. Plus, because the story is so intricate, I have a feeling when the next installment finally comes out, I'll have to reread this first bit to keep the many characters, clues, and contexts straight. At this point, I'm a fish on a hook. I feel powerless to fight against the line reeling me in.

No comments: