Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Book Review: Little House in the Big Woods


After reading a biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder recently, I decided to revisit the Little House on the Prairie books. My library has the set in audio form. What better way to pass the time while walking on my treadmill? Although, I think I do miss reading the books in book form because I remember the beautiful illustrations. This was easily remedied. I headed downstairs (for some reason I do not keep them with the other children's books on my bookshelves upstairs - do I doubt my boys would be interested in the story of a girl on the prairie?) and pulled out the first volume, Little House in the Big Woods. The familiar illustrations by Garth Williams brought a smile to my face. I also was tickled by the inscription on the inside cover in my own childish hand declaring "Wendy Gorton finished this book on November 23rd, 1972." I was seven. The book shows how dearly loved it was - the back cover was torn and mended twice. Oh, how I wish I had brought these books out when my younger boys were six and eight. That would have been the perfect time, I think.

The narrator also made me grin as I recognized the voice from the audio version of Kate DiCamillo's Because of Winn-Dixie (I well remember listening with Bryce to that tender tale on our drive to camp one summer). Cherry Jones does an excellent job of voicing the child-like wonder of Laura as she experiences life in the big woods with winter, snow, Christmas, bears, spring, summer, and harvest. Children will listen attentively to these simple tales of how straw hats were made, meat was preserved, and dangers were averted. I had forgotten the little story about Laura's cousin "crying wolf" and then seriously attempting to call his and Laura's Pa when he stepped on a yellow jacket nest. Although I have a few other audio books in the line-up (especially excited to find the most recent set of Jeffrey Archer short stories on the recent acquisitions shelf at my library), I will probably continue listening to this series this year.

(For a sample of the audio version with the voice of Cherry Jones, follow the book link above and click on the audible sample button. She is an excellent Recorded Books narrator.)

No comments: