Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Book Review: The Road to Little Dribbling

Despite feeling less than thrilled with my last Bill Bryson fare, I was willing to take another stab at it with this new acquisition to our library. It helped that it was in audio form. Bill Bryson does a fabulous job of conveying his own wit, obviously. Given that I have had some of my own adventures in a few of the British towns he mentions, I was interested enough to find the commentary funny and entertaining but not enamored enough to call it a great book.

The back of the book declares, "Nothing is more entertaining than Bill Bryson on the road - and on a tear. The Road to Little Dribbling reaffirms his stature as a master of the travel narrative - and a really, really funny guy." I'd have to agree. He is, indeed, funny. Crass at times and mercilessly critical of any form of stupidity, yet equally willing to express incidents of his own. Definitely entertaining.

This book wouldn't rank as one of my favorites of his, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. I think I might take a bit of a rest from his books, but eventually pick up his lengthy tome, One Summer ... just not this summer. In any case, I've not given up entirely on the wit and whinging of Bill Bryson, despite a couple of less than enthusiastic book reviews.

No comments: